Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Baptism

Ariel Leon Crowley’s baptism
I was baptized a few weeks after my 8th birthday on May 6th, 1950. I was baptized by my father Victor Leon Crowley. I was baptized in an old white chapel in Ontario on the corner of 4th Street and Campus Ave. that was built under Brigham Young’s administration. As an eight year old I thought I knew that old chapel pretty well but I couldn’t figure out where the baptismal font was. When we got to the chapel for the baptism I discovered where the font was located. They had moved the Bishop’s desk out of his office and rolled up the carpet and pulled up the planks of 2 by 6s and there was the font. There were two large doors that opened up that separated the bishop’s office from the chapel foyer. There were folding chairs set up in the foyer facing the bishop’s office and font. The boys and men were sent to the cry room just above the foyer to change in to our white clothes in preparation for the baptismal service. I remember that I was interviewed by Bishop Stan Able the Sunday before the service. He was a neighbor and friend of the family. He was also the manager of the local grocery store where mom shopped. During the baptismal interview he had me quote several of the Articles of Faith and about my desire to be baptized. I was pleased that my dad was going to baptize me. I can remember that there were several of us eight year olds that were to be baptized that day. I wish I could remember by name who they all were. I also wish that I could remember more about the baptismal service, I know that we had talks on baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost and then some instruction from the bishop. I remember that dad went down into the font first and held my hand as I entered the font. I remember that I was pleased that the water was warm. Dad faced the foyer while I stood in front of him and he raised his right arm to the square and said the baptismal prayer and then put his big hand on my back and gently put me under the water and brought me up again. He only had to do it once.
The next day was fast Sunday and I was confirmed a member of the church in that meeting. I remember that there were several in the circle and Grandfather (C. E.) Crowley was one of them. I’m sure there were several of my uncles in the circle also. I wish that I could remember some of the blessing that was given but I can’t.
I am very thankful for my baptism and membership in the true church. It has brought the richest blessing into my life. My wonderful wife, friend and companion have brought me much joy and happiness. The children that have blessed our home and life, fill my heart to over flowing. The opportunities membership in the church has given me has caused me to grow in ways that I never imagined. I am thankful for the opportunity to partake of the sacrament each week and renew my baptismal covenants. Without baptism I couldn’t enjoy the blessings of the sealing power of the temple ordinances. I bear you my witness that our Savior’s priesthood power and church and kingdom are here on the earth and the saving ordinances of the gospel are in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

This was so neat to read about, Dad. I'm so glad you are taking time to do this!

Leslie said...

I echo Tiff, thank you so much! I love you, and am sooo grateful for your example.

Jesse C said...

That was great. Thanks for sharing this with us.