Monday, November 5, 2007

Bishopric change

Change is good and yet sometimes it brings other challenges. Mother and I pondering possibilities were comfortable with many if not most of the possibilities for bishop and had no problem in our minds of sustaining them. But what a challenge if someone is called that puts on a good show and yet is not what he tries to present. We know things that are going on with a possible candidate that are not right and yet no great sin has been committed. We would be expected to sustain him. I then thought what if I was asked to be a councilor to him. What would the Lord expect of me. Should I in the privacy of the stake presidents office share my feeling and concerns and knowledge of what is going on. If I was called to be a counselor should I not say anything, accept the call and do all I could to serve the members of the ward.

I know the Lord is in charge and works through his servants here on earth. I also know that there are some that can deceive even the very elect. I know the Lord allows some things to happen that the judgements of God might be just. I know that I must trust in the Lord and realize that He is in charge and that His Will will be done. I am glad that I am not going to be the next bishop. I am hoping that we won't get a call Sunday morning to meet with the Stake President, I am not feeling physically up to being a counselor.

Mom and I have been praying for President Riddle and his guidance in choosing the new bishop for the fifth ward. We need to let everything else go and trust in the Lord that He will give the fifth ward who we need.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true that Dad and I are troubled by a situation in the ward which violates the first and great commandment to love God with all our hearts and our neighbor as ourselves. Yet, if we raised our hand in opposition to a call, how would we defend that action? There is just plain meanness going on. It wasn't until I was praying last night before bed that I received peace of mind on this matter. I realized that I would raise my hand to sustain anyone who has been called. Then we would move. j/k I would leave judgement to the Lord and trust in the inspiration of a righteous stake president. Who am I to attempt to know the mind and will of the Lord? All will be right in the end. "Let the Lord judge between me and thee." That is scripture but don't ask me for the reference. But the Lord wouldn't call such a man. That is also scriptural. (1Tim 3:1-7) It was a helpful exercise for us anyway since the situation does exist and we must decide what our influence will be.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say how surprised and pleased I am that Dad has taken to blogging like that proverbial old duck to water. He never ceases to amaze me. Thanks, Leslie, for giving him (us) the opportunity. As for me, knowing my all-or-nothing personality, I'm afraid to take that first step until every other thing on my list is done. Keeping up on all of your blogs is challenging enough! :-)

Leslie said...

I think it depends on what you know. If you think Pres. Riddle isn't aware, and may need to be, I don't think it would hurt to tell him. But, I don't know. Follow the Spirit. Good Luck!!

Jesse C said...

I agree with Leslie. I don't think the sustaining vote is just a ritual. It means something, right? That being said, I don't know if I would ever want to be the one hand that pops up during the opposed motion. I'd say it's something to pray about, then bring it up with President Riddle if you feel prompted to.

Anonymous said...

Having been a less than perfect bishop myself, anyone willing to accept the call gets a free pass in my book. Callings come for all kinds of reasons. And when I feel like I'm struggling to understand, I generally turn to this quote from Harold B. Lee:

"It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status."

Jesse C said...

I have to say, my favorite ward on my mission had a very young bishop who had been put in a couple of months before I got there. It was a shock to the entire ward when he was called, because he had always come across as arrogant. He had grown up in the ward, and always had an abrasive personality. By the time he became bishop, he had offended most of the ward during his teenage, young adult, or married life.

Clearly the Lord knew what he was doing. It was the best thing for this young bishop and the ward. He became very humble and outwardly focused, and led the ward with wisdom beyond his years. Somehow this abrasive arrogant personality was transformed ever so slightly to became a unifier of a previously divided ward. You never know.

Super Dad said...

Thanks for all of your comments. Sunday will be interesting.

James said...

What happened? Who was called?