Saturday, October 6, 2007

Heater filter. What's that?

The other day I was over to our duplex and one of the tennants asked if I would light the pilot for their furnace. I said sure I would be happy to. When I went to the heater I discovered that it had an automatic electric spark instead of a pilot. It took only to flip a switch and it was ready to go. I saw the end of the filter and thought I'll just pull it out and take a look. I grabbed a hold of the end of the filter and tried to pull it out but it acted like it was stuck and didn't want to come. I pulled harder and it started to come, then I realized the airconditioner was on and it was trying to suck air through the filter. When I got the filter out I could see it was plugged with litterally 1/2 inch of guck. They have been living there for 19 months and had no idea that there was such a thing as a heater/ air conditioner filter. She said their heating bill was about $150.00 to $170.00 a month last year.

I hope all of you know that you have a filter and where it is and that you are changing it often (monthly). It will save more money than the cost of the filter by far.

This past week the switch to lock and un lock the doors on mom's Olds popped inside the door. I had invisioned taking a whole day and tearing the door apart to fix it. Last night I dreamed about a way to fix it with out tearing the door apart. The first thing after breakfast I got a piece of ribbon and snaked it around the switch and tried pulling the switch back into place and it worked but part of the door that held the switch into place had been broken off so I got my Crazy Glue, pulled the switch almost into place, ran a bead of glue, then pulled the switch all the way and held it for about five minutes and walla it was fixed in about 15 minutes instead of an all day project.

I wished my dreams were more profound than just how to fix a switch. But on the other hand it's OK because if I needed something more profound I would probably have a lot more responsibility. It's OK I am happy about the switch repair.

Great first session of conference.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

What?! I thought changing the heater filter was YOUR job??!! Hmmm, I guess I'll have to do that again. Sounds like once a year ain't cuttin' it!

Leslie said...

Oh, by the way, THANK YOU FOR BLOGGING!! I'm loving it!!

Anonymous said...

Monthly? Really? Somewhere along the line, I got the impression that every 3 months was the standard. I'll have to try it monthly this winter and see if it makes a difference.

Also, way to go on the repair. The lock on the driver's door of my truck has been broken since the day I bought it. And I haven't dared pull the door apart because I know what a pain that is. Maybe I can dream up a solution tonight.

James said...

I have been meaning to change our out for some time now. I bet we could have saved some serious dough this summer. Oh well, you live and learn.